The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot

This a very informative book. It's also scary.

It is a horror festival of how many times, and in how many varied ways, you can get screwed because law marches waaay slower than science, and people, even in those cases where there is no malice, are mostly careless of other people. And sometimes they just play the fools, and play fast an loose.

This is a book about ignorance, and failure to communicate and about questions of ethical boundaries. It's an incredible research on tissue science history that manages to address the human aspect. I was engaged throughout, and enjoyed myself (well, I sometimes raged and roared with indignation but *shrug* I got into it) which was very much a surprise.

I feel like I learned a lot, and even more, made me think about a lot of things, and raised a bunch of questions in my mind. It made me a little paranoid too, which is a bit funny when you reach the interview with the author, where she says she tried to have care in her writing so as to not get that reaction, except it is not, because, really? That afterword? I'm so diving into the internet to get current, but it basically says that as of 2009 there no legislation regulating consent. It says a company can get hold of a gene patent and have rights over it, but a patient has no say on it's own tissues. So, hypothetical: You have your tissue studied, but since it has a certain gene, the scientist has to pay the company owning it, but you do not even need to be informed. Am I the only one seeing the ridiculousness of it?