Gone with the Wind - Margaret Mitchell

What Melanie did was no more than all Southern girls were taught to do — to make those about them feel at ease and pleased with themselves. It was this happy feminine conspiracy which made Southern society so pleasant. Women knew that a land where men were contented, uncontradicted and safe in possession of unpunctured vanity was likely to be a very pleasant place for women to live. So, from the cradle to the grave, women strove to make men pleased with themselves, and the satisfied men repaid lavishly with gallantry and adoration. In fact, men willingly gave the ladies everything in the world except credit for having intelligence.

The latest in a steady string of social commentary. Now stating part 2, I'm having a blast with the seemingly sedate, tong-in-cheek narration. It flows sweetly and beautifully, and swallows you into it.

I confess I kinda cheated and saw the movie. Yeah, I was the only person on earth who hadn't yet, and I'm so pleased to have corrected such a gap in my pop culture. It was awesome. I loved the whole long, tragic thing. I was a bit worried after I finished that knowing would put me off reading the mammoth (even though I've never shirked reading anything that got my interest, least of all because I'd seen the movie), because... well, hell, it's difficult knowing you are going down and going anyway. But, like I said, the book really lulls you into it. There is something about ephemeral pleasure, and a local saying "quien te quita lo bailado". I'll have to come back to that when it's time for the review.