Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews

During the first read I was too annoyed by Kate's obliviousness. This time, since I already knew and was just paying attention to the surrounding details while I waited for her to catch up I got several thing from it:

Darek says Crest wouldn't be good for Kate because he wouldn't be able to say no to her. She answers that not many people do. Having just read vol 9, it makes it a very insightful judgement on Derek's part. And an awesome backwards echo to Barrabas.

The Order are heartless monsters. And I'm not talking of future events here. They send not only the adopted daughter, but HIS OWN SON to investigate Greg's death.

The final interesting bit:

“If I were on my own, packing some power, and for some reason not wanting to be found, I might lay low for a while. But I’d know that sooner or later I’d have to come out and play, because whoever’s looking for me would eventually find me. I’d start building some connections. The thing about a lone wolf? Once you corner it, it has no one to turn to.”

NICK starts her on the human and relationships path. He makes it a logic and survival  thing, but he basically gives her permission to make friends. There is some heavy irony to it, I'm sure, but that quote alone justifies any filial affection Kate feels later on.