Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  - J.K. Rowling

And the rediscovery of it. Because just like the first time, I read it and became innocent and impressionable, and all the happier for it. I felt my imagination tremble, jump and jiggle, like a candle, a whisper of wind and a dark room. Magic.

Commentary as I read follows, but read at your peril. It's a spoiler minefield.

Ch1: The Boy Who Lived
DD didn't know McG was an animagus! Did she become one because of the war?. He says he wouldn't get rid of the scar if he could. He didn't realize, or was he already playing?

“To Harry Potter — the boy who lived!”

Ch2: The Vanishing Glass

Ch3: Letter from No One
I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Ch4: Keeper of the Keys
Hagrid is simply awesome. And he's actually pretty good at magic. And he carries an owl in his pocket! *chortle*

Ch5: Diagon Alley
Through this chapter, after the meet with Malfoy, while he's eating in the outside world again... Harry is quite the introspective lad, isn't he?

Ch6: Journey from Platform 9 3/4
All those fics had made me forget how sweet Molly is.
And Scabbers is the one that scares Malfoy and co. away!

Ch7: The Sorting Hat
"Bring back what we’ve forgot,
Just do your best, we’ll do the rest,"
And that dream! Talk about foreshadowing!

Ch8: Potions Master
Snape is an unfair dick, but not so terribly hateful as I'd remembered. Yet. I think he made too much of an impression on OotP.

Ch9: Midnight Duel
It's always the four of them *grin*
“If either of you get us caught, I’ll never rest until I’ve learned that Curse of the Bogies Quirrell told us about, and used it on you." HA! Wonder if it was a Voldie special, since Ginny is the first one throwing it around.
"She grabbed Harry’s wand," Look at that. And no, I wasn't pointing at the accidental innuendo, you dirty minds.

Ch10: Halloween
"Indeed, by the next morning Harry and Ron thought that meeting the three-headed dog had been an excellent adventure, and they were quite keen to have another one." Boys! *grin*
Hermione IS insufferable.
"And you don’t have to worry about the Quaffle or the Bludgers —”
“— unless they crack my head open.” Lol
"But from that moment on, Hermione Granger became their friend." *sniff*

Ch11: Quiddich

Ch12: Mirror of Erised
The twins making snowball pelt Quirrel's turban *shudders*
The rule of three. Harry's wistfulness. The only personal question Harry asked. I think it was brought back on DH.

Ch13 Nicholas Flamel
Oh, God! Harry consoling Neville with the frog and words!
"yet he sometimes had the horrible feeling that Snape could read minds." HA!

Ch14: Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback
"No more dragon — Malfoy in detention — what could spoil their happiness?" That's asking for it

Ch15: Forbidden Forest
McG just takes for granted Harry would prank someone. "I thought Gryffindor meant more to you" and refers to Neville, so wow, does legacy sometimes suck.
Arrrgh! The person that kept Filch must be the same one that though sending four kids into the woods at night to look for something dangerous was a good idea. I do get the "punishment by irony" thing (hell, Trunchbull remains literature's shining example), but damn. To get into perspective: Hagrid later does the same thing, and NO ONE though it was particularly clever then!
"there’s all sorts of things in there — werewolves, I heard.” Snape?, is that you I hear the echoes of?
I do love Hagrid
That's what "Not again"
Slithering, huh?
“Firenze saved me, but he shouldn’t have done so. … Bane was furious … he was talking about interfering with what the planets say is going to happen. … They must show that Voldemort’s coming back. … Bane thinks Firenze should have let Voldemort kill me. … I suppose that’s written in the stars as well.” How about laughing at divination now?

Ch16: Through the Trapdoor
"yeh get a lot o’ funny folk in the Hog’s Head" *wink*
No matter how many times I read it, I always boil mad at McG stupidity at this point (it's up there with her "keep your head down"). Sure, tell the scared kid there is nothing to worry about. Not only it's most likely a lie, it condones the child feeling like they have to do something about it, and the adult can't be relied on. How difficult could it have been to say "I'll look into it"

Ch17: The Man With Two Faces
Heh, I remember I was more or less surprised the first time. I have to say, it's well pulled, from both sides of knowing and not.
Quirrel is such a Ham. Then again, so is Voldie.
"He has had to be very hard on me.” Tell me it doesn't sound like a battered wife.
The big bad explaining everything is such a glaring reminder this is a children's book.
All the chat with Dumble is so awesome. Sometimes, the sheer ruthlessness that comes to light in the last volumes tarnished my memories of what a great character he still is. Now, Harry's deductions about DD giving him a chance to face Voldie... like I said, great, but ruthless.
The points at the feast, it puts a knife through my heart. I guess DD made it as back pay for misery past, and forward pay for all the shit to come.
"They don’t know we’re not allowed to use magic at home." Little imp *grin* Great last line.

Aaaand 17 chapters. Love how Jo likes to play with numbers.

(show spoiler)